There’s Still Time and Paycheck Protection Program Funding!
Don’t Miss Your Chance – There’s still time to qualify for the Paycheck Protection Program. Don’t miss your chance – money is still available! If you are a small business, nonprofit, gig worker, or church interested in applying for this program, there is still time.
The Bureau of Economic Development Invests $154K to Help Suburban Shelter Efforts for those Experiencing Homelessness
The Bureau of Economic Development (BED) released $154,000 in grant funding to support the increased needs of the suburban Cook County areas’ homeless system. Due to COVID-19, most suburban shelter agencies are moving to a hotel-based model for sheltering individuals who are experiencing homelessness. Working with the Alliance to End Homelessness and its member agencies, BED aims to provide a safe shelter solution for people in the suburban region. BED is coordinating with the Cook County Department of Emergency Management and Regional Security and the Cook County Department of Public Health to access emergency financial support through FEMA. Additional funding is forthcoming through the Community Development Block Grant and Emergency Solutions Grant provided through the federal CARES Act. Read the press release here.
Find out about the Alliance to End Homelessness in Suburban Cook County here.
Learn about the CARES Act here.
Census 2020 – What You Can do this Week
- Encourage completing the Census using this image and sample post:“You can still fill out the Census even during the ‘stay home order.’ From the comfort of your own home, you can fill out the Census by phone, mail, and online! Be counted and flatten the curve. #CookCountyCensus #MakeILCount #BeCounted #Census2020”
- Share our community’s health matters using this image and sample post:“DYK decisions about healthcare resources are impacted by the Census? Fill out the Census today and help share the future for your family and your community. #CookCountyCensus #MakeILCount #BeCounted #Census2020”
- Use the Census graphics located here to change your background on your next video call, draft a newsletter blurb, or share kids activity sheets with your family. Need help? Let us know!
Upcoming Virtual Events
Business Perspectives and Best Practices During COVID-19 – Join the Conversation:
- Monday, May 11, at 11:30 am – Chicago Southland Economic Development Corporation‘s Reggie Greenwood is hosting a Google Hangout for people to share ideas and strategies for responding to COVID-19. Join with Google Meet or by phone +1 413-276-7842 (PIN: 470909883).
- Tuesday, May 12, at 1:00 pm, CST – Manufacturing Partnership Peer Sharing is hosting a virtual discussion for manufacturers and public partners involved in the Next-Gen Manufacturing Partnership to discuss how people are mobilizing in response to the COVID-19 crisis. Join via – Zoom link here or Dial-in: (646) 876-9923 ID: 955 9791 6506.
- Wednesday, May 13, at 10:00 am – The Bureau of Economic Development and Daley College are co-hosting a webinar for Manufacturers to share how to use apprenticeships to attract and retain talent. Featured speakers include Ed Miniat and the Principal Manufacturing group. Register today!
- Thursday, May 14, at 1:00 pm – National COVID-19 Response Peer Sharing is hosting an open virtual forum for Next-Gen practitioners and business leaders in all industries to connect and exchange experiences in how your partnerships are responding to the COVID-19 crisis. Please come prepared to share best practices and ask questions. Join via Zoom link Dial-in: (646) 876-9923 Meeting ID: 917 5101 9747.
In Case You Missed It
- Bureau Chief Xochitl Flores with Telemundo talking about the work of our Bureau and business recovery efforts.
Cook County’s Response and Resources
Cook County Department of Public Health
Illinois COVID-19 Resources
Chicago COVID-19 Resources
Centers for Disease Control
Cook County Community Recovery Initiative
City Bureau COVID Resource Finder